Based on submissions, a group of Film category finalists will be chosen to receive a R35 000 budget to produce their film. Based on submissions, a group of Film category finalists will be chosen to receive a R35 000 budget to produce their film. The winner of the Film category will receive a R50 000 cash prize and be eligible for the R100 000 grand prize and runners-up will receive a R15 000 award. Finalists are guaranteed an exhibit of their work and online profiling of them and their projects.
Come up with a short film idea that investigates the role that concrete or cement plays in creating our environments. You are allowed to experiment within genres, but should be able to motivate your approach conceptually.
To qualify for the R35 000 to produce your film, you will need to pitch your idea in front of a panel of judges at the PPC headquarters in Sandton. Each production team must prove they have the required technical and artistic knowhow to produce a film based around a relevant and coherent concept.
- You will need prove that you can produce the film.
- The intended film should be 5 – 10 minutes long.
- You must be show you can deliver on a technical and a conceptual level.
- If your proposal is accepted, category finalists will be given a R35 000 budget to produce their film. Finalists will be paired up with an experienced mentor who will guide finalists through the production phase.
WHO CAN ENTER
All work entered into this category must be produced by:
- South African students and recent graduates, including permanent residents of South Africa as well as foreign students with study permits.
- Participants must be 18 years or older.
- Professional film producers who have produced commissioned work and commercial production houses are not eligible for entry.
FILM RULES & ENTRY CRITERIA
Online application must include a concept document of no more than 250 words, this can take the form of a film synopsis, or motivation for the central concept. You should also submit a storyboard of the film as supporting documentation. Judges review online submissions and choose entrants who will be invited to pitch their film in front of a panel in Johannesburg.
15 April - 30 September 2016
During the conceptualisation phase, entrants will need to submit the following online:
A concept document of no more than 250 words. This can take the form of a film synopsis, or motivation for the central concept.
A storyboard of the film as supporting documentation.
If your film makes it through to the pitch round, you will need to present following:
- A visual treatment, including a storyboard or mood board (PDF or AV).
- A synopsis or motivation document, up to 1000 words (PDF).
- Evidence that the team can produce a film, such as a short show reel or a clear visual treatment.
- An ability to expand on the narrative, if asked by the judges.
- A character bible if the concept involves characters.
- A planned production schedule and detailed budget.
If your proposal is accepted, category finalists will be given a R35 000 budget to produce their film. Finalists will be paired up with an experienced mentor who will guide finalists through the production phase.
Your final online submission must include:
- A completed film between 5 -10 minutes.
- Trailer of film.
- High-res version of the film submission on a USB stick or DVD (this will need to be physically submitted).
- Vimeo or YouTube link to film submission.
THE JUDGING PROCESS
Judging of the filmmaking awards will be adjudicated by an independent panel of judges, comprised of prominent filmmakers and academics. The names of the members of the panel will be announced upon confirmation. The judges' decision is final and no correspondence with the organisers/judges will be allowed. It is in the sole and final discretion of the organisers/judges to cancel any entry on the grounds of illegality, infringement of any third party rights, or a transgression of the constitutional right of freedom of expression.
PROCESS & TIMELINE
REGISTER & SUBMIT CONCEPTUAL ENTRIES
Thursday, 18 May 2017 – 31 October 2017
ANNOUNCEMENT & INVITATION TO PITCH
Wednesday, 8 November 2017 – Friday, 17 November 2017
Monday, 20 November 2017 – Sunday, 18 February 2018
SUBMISSION OF FIRST FILM DRAFT
Monday, 19 February 2018 – Monday, 26 February 2018
SUBMISSION OF FINAL FILM
Tuesday, 20 February 2018 – Tuesday, 6 March 2018
FINAL WINNER NAMED